We have been very fortunate and lucky to have visited the Emerald Isle. It’s amazing landscape of green makes justice to Ireland’s nickname. but Ireland is a lot more than that. It is a country where we found happy and welcoming people that rejoice in their Celtic heritage and pride themselves in their rich culture heritage. It was easy to fall in love with Ireland. So, we want to celebrate with the Irish and bring them forth with a Good Luck Healthy Shamrock Smoothie for Saint Patrick’s Day.
Before working the smoothie recipe, I wanted to share a bit of Ireland with the munchkins, so here are some facts in no particular order:
- Dublin is the capital of Ireland
- Spoken languages are Irish and English. Both languages have been very important in the Irish gifts of literature of the world with examples like Oscar Wilde who wrote “The Importance of Being Ernest” among others; James Joyce who wrote Ulysses and JonathanSwith author or “Gulliver’s Travels” Ireland produced 4 literature Nobel prize winners: George Bernard Shaw, William Butler Yeats, Samuel Beckettand Seamus Heaney.
- Riverdance is and example of traditional Irish dance
- Tourists flock to Dublin, and 3 declared World Heritage Sites (Brú na Boinne, Skellig Michael and the Giant’s Causeway) as well as Bunratty Castle, the Rock of Cashel, the Cliffs of Moher, Holy Cross Abbey and Blarney Castle
- For breakfast you will find black pudding served while for lunch of dinner a hearty Irish stew is easily found.
- Saint Patrick is the patron saint of Ireland and there is a cultural/religious celebration to mark his death on March 17th.
Because we are making a Saint Patrick’s day smoothie, a little more information on the celebration is in order:
- Saint Patrick’s day celebrates Irish culture and heritage in general
- It also marks the arrival of Christianity to the island
- Shamrocks and green are widely used to mark the day
We, on March 17th,will indulge on some black pudding, plus our Good Luck Healthy Shamrock Smoothie which is really easy to make because Saint Patrick’s Day is big on drinks! Of course it is green for good luck, the greener the better!
Oh, one more wors about green, there is much debate to the origin of the “Luck of the Irish” Regardless of where it comes from, we at home take it as a reason to celebrate and to wish each other the best of everything. In the end, what is life with some dreams in the horizon and your loved ones bidding your all the best to make them come true?
Hope you find your pot of gold at the end of the rainbow, even if you get some leprechaun help!
Do you do anything special for Saint Patrick’s Day?
This sounds great! I love smoothies, and this sounds like a great one. It’s tasty, refreshing, and really good for me. Yum!
Ana @ MiamiMommy Savings says
That smoothie looks so GOOD! Thank you for sharing this recipe, I will pass it along to my hubby, who loves shakes. 🙂
What a fun idea! I’m really wanting to do an all-green dinner for my boys on St.Patricks day – this would be perfect!
That is an awesome theme Kendall! Keep posted for more green ideas coming soon right here 🙂
Love it! And oh gosh, does that gorgeous photo ever make me want to go to Ireland!
Yum! I need to figure out some green-themed activities for our St Patrick’s Day.
Carrie @Frugal Foodie Mama says
Oooooo… I love this healthy smoothie for St. Patrick’s Day! SO much better for me than that Shamrock shake from McDonald’s, lol. 😉
I love making St. Patrick’s Day themed food! This one sounds yummy!
I have never heard of black pudding! Thanks for the fun facts and the recipe.
Well Emmy black pudding and blood sausage are in the same realm of food spectrum. It is delicious!
Sarah Halstead says
Yumm! That sounds amazing. Yumm!
Love the facts about Ireland! I can’t wait to visit the Emerald Isle someday… Meanwhile I’ll try your yummy shake!
This looks delish!!!
Yummy, I love smoothies!
Cassie @ Beauty & The Boys says
Mmmm! I love shamrock shakes and this one sounds DELICIOUS!!
Claire @ A Little Claireification says
This looks so good. We SO loved our trip to Ireland – especially the West coast. Going to whip up one of these smoothies and toast to the “Emerald Isle”!
I would love to go to Ireland someday. It is definitely on my travel to go list.
Brooke @ Blushing Noir says
ohhhh I want this smoothie in my gut nowwww
Christina S says
Fun! I love a good smoothie and the boys think they’re really a treat!
Jennifer S. says
Sounds delicious and Healthy! Which is always a bonus in my books!
adriana martin says
What a cool and delightful idea, love this shamrock smoothie yummy!
Oh I bet it was beautiful. Thanks for linking up at the Home Matters Linky Party. #homematterparty
Maria Aponte says
Qué rico! This looks great for breakfast! And I have all the ingredients! Will try it tomorrow! 🙂
Awesome! let me know how you and your family like them! I am having one right now 🙂
Kristine Foley says
We’ve yet to try celery in our smoothies! We love to mix it up so thank you for the recipe!