With the end of school, summer preparations are underway. I am a procrastinator. So while Summer camps are the order of the day, I am scrambling to find the best camp for the kids. As I am doing this exercise, came accross many overnight camps. I know there is something special about sleeping away from parents and living out what we see in the movies of songs, s’mores and learning new skills. Day camp or overnight camp, I came up with this list of tips that should be helpful in Preparing the Kids for Summer Camp.
Tips to Prepare for Camp (Day or Overnight)
- Go over different summer camp descriptions and make sure they match your child’s interests, skills or needs.
- Go over the camp activities with your child and talk over what they feel or expect to participate in these activities
- Choose shorter camps for first timers
- Explain to your child when you will be picking them up
- If you can, visit together the camp before attending
- Share your camp experiences with the kids to get them excited
Tips to Prepare for Overnight Camp
- Consider sending your child away to grandma’s for a weekend to help with the adjustment of staying away
- When you go over the camp activities, ask open ended questions to allow for kids to elaborate on their concerns
- Let children know you have spoken to camp officials on their special issues like allergies, for example. (Don’t forget to do it 🙂 )
- Reassure the children that if they need you, you are a phone call away
- Prepare together their essentials and bag
- Tell your children you can’t wait to hear all about their camp adventures when they return
Camp benefits are really for the entire family. With summer camps we give the chance to the children to learn something new in a fun way, build their self confidence, and great stories. Also, we supply for a wealth of activities that replace the tablet, TV or the “mom, am bored” catch phrase.
I hope these tips will help you make the best of the summer camp experience for your little ones. If you have additional tips, please do share them with us!