This is a sponsored post. All opinions shared are 100% our own.
Summer means we are spending a lot of time with friends and family. It also means we have travel in store for us. We already took our first family road trip, and our family includes a furry baby! Yes, she came along with us! It was so much fun to have her with us. How do you prepare for a road trip with ALL of your family members? Here are our Tips for Road Trips with Dogs
The open road awaits and you are ready to drive on! To make it even more enjoyable, consider these tips for an amazing road trip with your four legged family members:
- Safety first: The simple answer is – Crate your dog. You don’t want any distractions on a long drive. A dog roaming around the car or sitting on your lap can make you less reactive to whatever might happen on the road. By the same token, you don’t want your dog shooting out if you have to brake unexpectedly. An alternative to crating them would be a dogie booster seat, but they will be more comfortable, and likely to keep in place in their crate, than strapped in by unfamiliar belts.
- Feeding: Dogs are prone to motion sickness. So, try not to feed your dog a big meal before leaving. Try not to feed the dog or give it snacks while the car is moving. Do remember to bring pet food and practical containers for food and water along the road when you stop.
- Breaks: When you stop for breaks, don’t forget to bring your dog. When you stop for a break, give your pooch a break for potty needs and a bit of walking or running. Remember they also need to burn some energy too.
- Toys: Bringing along Fido’s favorite toy or blanket might help the dog keep calm during the road trip. Toys will also help keep doggies entertained during your trip. No need to bring them all! One or two should do the trick.
- Don’t forget to pack your leash
Keeping your cute furry companions safe on the road can be easy. Our friends at Fort Dodge Ford can help if you are looking for the right car for your family road trip this summer.
Do you have more tips to add to this Tips for Road Trips with Dogs list? Where are you enjoying the summer with your Dog this year?