I am still so grateful for our exclusive interview with Tracee Ellis Ross. She not only gave us an interview, but took us around for her guided tour to discover What Goes On At the ABC Show “black-ish” set. It was a learning experience and I have to tell you I was quite impressed by the set itself.
Here are my favorite highlights from our Tracee Ellis Ross private “black-ish” set tour. This is What Goes On At the ABC Show “black-ish” set:
- The set is huge! It really is like walking into a spacious home. You would think you are touring a model home except that the ceiling is open and feels like an unfinished construction up there, plus tons of lighting. The interior decor of the set is inviting, warm, and totally homely.
- Despite Ms. Ellis Ross trying to keep it as real as possible when she is acting (remember I told you she shoots bed scenes with little or no make up), the closet for the couple occupies 65% of the space with an impressive sneaker collection for Andre, played by Anthony Anderson. Yeah, not the case in most households…certainly not mine 🙂 The walk in closet is as big as my kitchen! I could totally see myself with a closet like this one……with less space for Señor Cool’s shoes.
- Drawers and shelving in the kitchen do have real products. As a matter of fact, Tracee found a jar filled with chocolate candy and once she discovered it she made a dent to its contents.
- The same drawers and shelving are used by the actors to hideaway their script and lines.
- The beds on the set have signs that read ” do not sleep or use the set furniture” Well, Tracee and her co-star Anthony Anderson have discovered that their bed is quite comfortable. Tracee tells us that they both have enjoyed naps on the bed when they are not filming.
- While the kitchen is amazing, my favorite space for this house is the back patio. It is just amazing to me how they got the landscaping and the relaxing feeling going just right in a studio warehouse! Here is the patio as I saw it, and how we will see it on TV tonight when we tune int to watch the latest episode:
Here are a few more images that all “black-ish” fans can easily recognize. I do want to share that the set feels like a real home. The details everywhere bring out all the realism. Kid’s school work, real photos of the kids, the details’ list goes on and on. I think this is why the set felt so much like a real home to me.
“Stuff” – Dre thinks Christmas has become commercialized and is all about “stuff,” and no one loves “stuff” more than his kids. Pops and Ruby think they have forgotten the true meaning of Christmas and come up with a new plan to pare down gifts and spend more time together. The kids don’t handle the news well and hope that if they put on their best behavior Dre and Bow will cave in. Meanwhile, Daphne Lido (played by Wanda Sykes), who is single for her first holiday alone, invites herself to the Johnson family home to celebrate with them, on “black-ish,” WEDNESDAY, DECEMBER 9 (9:31-10:00 p.m., ET) on the ABC Television Network.