You know we love celebrating everything and anything at Cool Moms Cool Tips. Chinese New Year is no exception. Our yearly tradition falls on January 28th this year. It is the year of the Rooster!! To find out more about what Chinese New Year is read this. Adding to our festivities this year I am working on DIY Chinese New Year Lucky Envelopes! I couldn’t find any envelopes near me. We don’t have a Chinatown, and I didn’t think to order early enough, so I have an easy craft that you can make with the kids and not be without those lucky envelopes as you mark the Lunar New Year!
DIY Chinese New Year Lucky Envelopes
I took care of all the cutting and gluing until I came up with an easy way to make the envelopes. Don’t worry, I am sharing a template with you 🙂 The simple and easy project is done like this:
- 1 printed cardboard (chinese new year lucky envelope printable cool moms cool tips)
- money or chocolate coins to fill the envelopes
- Once you have printed the template I have for you, go ahead and cut out the red shapes.
- Fold the long tab towards the back
- Fold and glue the bottom tab to the long tab
- Fold and glue the bottom tab to the previously glued tab
- Leave to dry two hours
- Fill envelope with money or chocolate coins and hand out!
Tip: I suggest you follow all the folding instructions before you start glueing, just to make the envelope take shape and make it easier to glue. Doing this will also give you crisper folds and a better end result.
You can fold the envelope to make the closing flap horizontal or vertical. There is no wrong way to wish others good luck! It is a great craft to do with the kids, and get them involved in the celebration too.
Celebrating Chinese New Year
I love celebrating Chinese New Year because it is a great opportunity to learn more about Chinese culture and traditions. Do you know what it is? We tell you here. This is a proposed menu for your Chinese New Year celebration, and some adorable fortune cookie craft that you will enjoy making with your kids plus a fun Asian conical hat DIY!