Delicious Homemade Gravy is a great addition to any meal. When I first met gravy, it was a Thanksgiving feast. So, maybe it is your first time hosting Thanksgiving or Friendsgiving. Perhaps like me, you had no clue gravy was such an important part of the celebration. Maybe you want to make gravy just because. So, I am going to share different easy and quick ways How To Make Delicious Homemade Gravy.
How To Make Easy Delicious Homemade Gravy
I found out that traditional gravy starts with a Roux. A roux is a mixture of fat and flour. The fat can be in the form of pan drippings from a roast you are making, butter or even bacon fat. I also discovered that there are a couple of ways to make homemade gravy from scratch. Here are the ones I was able to collect to test out:
Delicious Homemade Gravy From Scratch Using Drippings
- 1.5 cups beef or chicken broth
- 2 cups of drippings
- 3 Tablespoons flour
- half an onion, minced
- 3 minced garlic cloves
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Over medium heat, sautee the onion and garlic using one tablespoon olive oil in a saucepan.
- Get and pour the drippings from your roasting pan and push through a fine-mesh sieve
- Remove all leftover turkey pieces and add drippings to the saucepan.
- For about two minutes heat the drippings until they are hot, and then mix in the flour. Whisk from time to time, for 2 minutes.
- Add in the broth salt and pepper. Continue mixing until you the consistency you are looking for.
Cool mom tip: Quicker Homemade Gravy from Scratch Using Drippings
Save some time and make your gravy as you are roasting your meat. You can get your drippings while you are making your roast. They will be hot and you can immediately mix in with the flour in a pot. The measurement to follow should be a cup of drippings combines with two tablespoons of flour. Start mixing quickly with a whisk or spoon. Next put the pot over medium heat and continue to mix until it thickens.
Delicious Homemade Gravy From Scratch Without Drippings
If you are not making the roast but are in charge of the gravy, this is your ticket.
- half a stick of butter
- 2 tablespoons of flour
- 1.5 cup of stock – you can use every kind of stock.
As I mentioned, all stocks are good to make this recipe. So, you can go ahead and choose from chicken, beef, turkey or vegetable broth. Perfect if you need to make a vegetarian gravy.
- Melt butter
- Add the flour and combine well.
- Finally, add the broth until you have the thickness you desire for the gravy.
Delicious Homemade Gravy For Your Leftovers
I don’t know about your home, but at ours, gravy is the first thing on the table that disappears. We can’t get enough of it. So, this last quick delicious homemade gravy recipe is great for enjoying your leftover roasts.
The best part is how easy and quick you can make the gravy without necessarily having the drippings. I must admit, the one with drippings is tastier. But, you can add in seasonings and flavors that will get you there.
Talking about easy, need a quick and delicious dessert? How about making these no-bake peanut butter pops?
Do you have a special gravy tip? Please share it with us in the comments below.